To organize the order at home or in the office, people have long used cabinets and shelves. The telecommunications industry did not stand aside either, where, by analogy with ordinary furniture, cabinets, Right Rack Shelves, and shelves are used to house equipment and arrange the workspace within a data center.
The main purpose of such accessories is to support network hardware that cannot be installed on vertical racks. The variety of shelves for network furniture is quite extensive. These are stationary, console, and sliding products with a maximum load capacity of 15 to 250 kg. There are also special accessories for the keyboard, as well as shelves-boxes for storing documentation. A wide selection of accessories for server cabinets can be found at the website https://sysracks.com/.
Criteria to Take into Account when Choosing Right Rack Shelves
When choosing a data cabinet shelf, you need to clearly know the weight of devices that will need to be installed on them. Shelves are designed with a specific load capacity, so picking the wrong model can cause expensive computing equipment to fall and be damaged. Thus, it is necessary to know in advance the weight and dimensions of all the hardware to be placed, and based on this, choose the design of the cabinet or rack, as well as the shelves that will be installed inside. According to this parameter, they distinguish the following models of shelves:
- Up to 15 kg. These are small rack shelves designed primarily for keyboards and a mouse. Keyboards are lightweight, but the shelf must support the user’s hands while typing;
- 20-30 kg. Shelves of this type are used for light devices. They are chosen to install a PC, keyboard, monitor, and other types of apparatus;
- Up to 45 kg. Accessories of this type are classified as “medium load” and are well suited for small servers, a couple of computers, etc.;
- 100 kg and more. As soon as you reach the mark of 100 kg, the shelf will go into the category of heavy (reinforced). The capacity of such shelves can reach up to 200 kg or even more. Such shelves can support UPS with additional batteries, multiple servers, PCs, power units, monitors.
Another condition for the optimal selection of shelves is how often you need to remove equipment from the cabinet. Here, two classes of a server cabinet shelf are distinguished:
- Sliding models allow sliding the shelf into and out of a cabinet or rack, which simplifies the processes of cabling and wire routing, maintenance, and hardware cleaning to avoid dust infiltration. The ability to move the shelf up and down allows you to change the configuration of the equipment without turning it off.
- Fixed models are indispensable in server cabinets. They are widely used for heavy devices. Having a fixed option can prevent accidental hardware movement and its damage in the rack.
Most Appropriate Right Rack Shelves or Different Types of Server Furniture
Taking into account the above-mentioned rules, the best rack shelves for different types of equipment are:
- A console shelf 19″. The depth of the model can be 200 or 500 mm. They can hold up to 10kg. Routers, video recorders, switches, and other light equipment are installed on such shelves. This model is mounted on 2 rails with 4 screws.
- A hinged accessory for a server rack. Such models are not put in cabinets. They have one depth – 200 mm. Like console ones, they can withstand up to 10 kg.
- Sliding. There are models with a depth of 400 to 600 mm. Such a shelf provides comfortable access to equipment and simplifies management. It will come in handy if you need to install portable storage, a server, or other devices that need to be taken out frequently. It is also suitable if you need frequent access to the back of the device, and the cabinet or rack is installed against the wall. Not to damage the guides and ensure product durability, you should not put more than 30 kg on such a shelf, even if its declared load capacity is greater.
- Shelf for mouse and keyboard. Mounted on two pairs of rails. There are models with a depth of 400 and 600 mm.
- Fixed 19-inch shelf. It can withstand up to 100 kg, so you can safely install servers, monitors, UPS with powerful batteries and other overall equipment on it. Fixed shelves are fixed on 4 rails with 8 screws. The depth of the models varies between 400-700 mm. This model is not suitable for all server cabinets. Since the recommended depth margin in the cabinet is at least 80 mm, you can install a fixed shelf in a cabinet with a depth of at least 500 mm.
- Bottom shelf. Like the sliding one, it is only suitable for server racks. But it can withstand the same weight as a stationary one – up to 100 kg. The depth of the models is 400-1000 mm. However, it is worth remembering that there is no universal lower shelf for any rack: a certain shelf is intended for each design model.
- Drawers are distinguished for Right Rack Shelves and cabinets to store important documents, guidelines, instructions, and equipment passports. Models can withstand 10-20 kg, which is quite enough for documents. Drawers occupy more space than server shelves in terms of height. So, there are models 2U with a depth of 400 mm and 4U with a depth of 450 mm.
Shelves allow users to quickly improve the interior space of network furniture by accommodating different types of devices. For comfortable placement of network equipment in server cabinets and mounting racks, a 19″ server shelf is useful. And for storing documents, including instructions for use, warranty cards, etc., special boxes are suitable.
Choosing the optimal server shelf in terms of size and load capacity is not difficult: you just need to focus on the dimensions and total weight of the devices, and also on the depth of the server cabinet or mounting rack. Usually, several shelves of different types are taken at once. If this is your case, remember the installation rules: the heaviest equipment is placed at the bottom, and the lightest ones are at the top.