One of the major reasons why Overwatch eSports is widely watched all over the world is because there are so many characters and roles to follow. For the most part, in the Overwatch series, there are generally three types of basic roles that each player picks while he picks a character. For example, Orisa and Zarya as characters play the “Tank” role. In comparison, Ashe and Bastion are Damage Heroes. And last but not least, characters akin to Ana and Mercy come under Support Heroes. But, what newbie overwatch players do not realize is that each role has its exceptions. Unlike other eSport games, all in-built characters in Overwatch do not come with the same level of capacities. Thus, while picking characters in Overwatch to fight or alliance with, you have to know which characters are exceptions. This knowledge will also help you build strong gaming strategies.
Today we brought you a guide on exceptions in Overwatch Roles. So, without any further ado, let’s famaliarize with them:
#Exception 1: Zarya and Roadhog
To begin with, Zarya and Roadhog are basically tank heroes. A character that has the role of a tank. This means it is his/her responsibility to act as a leader of the team. For example, if any team member has encountered damage, it is the tank’s responsibility to soak up the damage. Not only this, but the tank is also considered first to act against fortified positions and maintain strategies to break apart.
According to the Overwatch eSport guide, there are a total of eight tank characters in the game. It includes Zarya, Roadhog, Sigma, DVA, Winston, Wrecking Ball, Orisa, and Reinhardt. Now, among these right, there are three characters which have the following exceptions:
- First of all, Roadhog is considered one of the best tanks when it comes to soaking up damage for its team members. However, because Roadhog is never good at defending a team player strategy-wise, he is not the best tank out there.
- Again for Zarya, her ability to protect team members during a battle is evidently less. For example, if she has no armor, she cannot defend the team member who is losing a battle.
- Wrecking ball in Overwatch Tank role is never considered a primary leader. One of the major rationales is that the Wrecking ball’s first instinct is always to damage. It doesn’t matter if the damage is done to the enemy or own team member. His aggressive power and mindset create a crash as a leader.
#Exception 2: Lucio and Zenyatta
For the most part, Lucio and Zenyatta, one of the most powerful characters in Overwatch, are aspiring as “Support.” As the term “support” suggests, a support player tends to save the team member in every way possible. For example, if a team member is in a battle/combat with another, the support player will boost whatever damage is done to the enemy player. Support role also has healing power and much more. But, of course, not all support characters are equivalent. There are exceptions like:
- Lucio and Zenyatta’s healing power is considerably less. Thus, if the other team has stronger support, your chances of winning combat decrease.
- Moira is also a support hero in the game. However, Moira is quite good at doing damage rather than providing vital utility.
- Last but not least, Brigette is definitely a good healer. However, in Brigette’s perspective, she heals everyone, irrespective of the team. That can come out as a disadvantage sometimes.
#Exception 3: Mei, Sombra, and Symetra
Do you know? In the Overwatch eSport series, characters in the “DAMAGE” Role are worth watching. The only reason is – there are so many that the audience’s perspective remains divided among their favorite damage heroes. Also, they have different weapons and tools to do the damage. Some exceptions are:
- Mei’s output in the context of damage is quite less. Thus, if she is to defend a team player during combat, she will remain a disadvantage only.
- Sombra is pretty much underconfident. For example, she always requires instructions from other team members on what to do next? She doesn’t have a strong viewpoint.
- Like Sombra, Symetra is also very interactive. However, she requires coordination from the team’s tanks. She does not take action on her own.
Did you know of any of these Overwatch eSport exceptions before? To know more about the roles and overwatch characters, keep us in your bookmarks. Till then, be very picky with your characters in Overwatch. It helps to taste the experience. Thank you!